1648: Lease of One Acre of Meadowland at Brood Mead
This is the earliest of the indentures – we believe that others were destroyed in a fire some time before the English Civil War. It relates to an acre of land at Brood (Broad) Mead. Broad Mead is shown on the 1839 Tithe Map and is on the far west of the parish, just south of Lorridge Farm.
The land belongs to the parish so the Stinchcombe feoffees need to approve the transfer of the lease. Feoffees are similar to modern charity trustees. They are respected members of the community; in this case they are all yeomen of the parish. Their names are Roger and John Hollister, William Trotman, Tichard Tindall, John Hirts, Thomas and Richard Dirriat and Richard Atwood.
The indenture says that the Nelme family have held the lease since the 42nd year of Queen Elizabeth’s reign, in other words about the year 1600. The lease was for a period of 80 years and the annual rent is 15 shillings.
The lease is being transferred from surviving members of the Nelme family to George Haynes of Berkeley. He is to pay 14 shillings a year to the Nelmes. If he is more than 20 days late with a payment the Nelmes can take back the land.
Payment is due in two instalments on particular feast days. The feast of St Michael the Archangel (Michaelmas) is on 29th September and the feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) is on 25th March.
Henry Marsh, Samuel Gibbes and Tobias Hathway have witnessed the sealing and delivery of the document. Only Tobias can write so the other two have made their mark.