Carrot and Parsnip Crumble
(Serves 4-6) by Yvonne Cant
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots
- 1 lb parsnips
- 4 oz butter OR 4 tablespoons Fromage frais
- 1/4 – 1/2 whole nutmeg
- 8 oz streaky smoked bacon (fry until crisp)
- 4 oz brown bread, made into crumbs
- 3 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper
- Cook carrots and parsnips in lightly salted water until tender.
- Purée in food processor or blender – or put through sieve.
- Beat in butter, grated nutmeg and season to taste.
- Spoon into ovenproof dish.
- Spread crispy bacon over puree, retaining fat.
- Mix together breadcrumbs, cheeses and oregano.
- Sprinkle over vegetables and bacon.
- Dribble bacon fat over vegetables and bake till brown and crispy 230C for about 15-20 min.